THE police have so far seized 41 firearms in the province since the start of the gun ban on January 13 in line with the May midterm elections.
Of these, 19 were seized through the implementation of search warrants, five through checkpoint operations, and 17 through police response.
Provincial Police Director Marlou Chan said these firearms have been taken to the crime laboratories for ballistic examinations and cross-matching.
Meanwhile, a report from the Police Regional Office 1 (PRO1) said for the period from January 13 to March 6, a total of 149 firearms in the region have been taken into custody.
“We will sustain our efforts for sure to eliminate the instruments of violence,” PRO1 Director Police Chief Superintendent Ricardo C. Marquez said as he presented the seized firearms before the Philippine National Police (PNP) National Headquarters inspecting team last week during a post audit and inspection of accomplishment on the Commission on Elections (ComElec) Gun Ban.
PRO1 confiscated 38 firearms through the implementation of search warrants, 40 confiscated through police response, seven in the conduct of checkpoints, and 64 were voluntarily surrendered.
PC Supt. Miguel Antonio Jr., Deputy Director for Operations based in Camp Crame National Headquarters, commended the efforts of the officials and staff of the PRO1 for their commitment in implementing the Comelec rule.
“We are happy dito sa Region 1. The accomplishments are more…mas maganda sa mga reports,” Antonio told the provincial police office staff and different Pangasinan station chiefs on March 7.
However, Antonio said that they are still not completely contented with the results as there remains a significant number of loose firearms such as those with expired licenses.
Antonio likewise clarified that Pangasinan, along with other provinces included in the list of areas of concern in connection with the May election, has remained peaceful.
He stressed that being in the list does not mean the place is not safe to visit.–Johanne R. Macob