THE Dagupan city school division confirmed Thursday that it has not received communication from the Department of Education central office ordering the relocation of pupils of the Juan P. Guadiz Elementary School on A. B. Fernandez Avenue West to another site.
This was clarified to the PUNCH in an interview in reaction to an earlier announcement by the Dagupan City government that it is set to build a P50 million 24-bed capacity lying-in hospital on the site to the vacated by the school.
Dr. William Macob, education program supervisor and administrative officer of the city school division, said Education Secretary Armin Luistro has not any order for the transfer to give way to the planned hospital.
“We will abide whatever decision to be made by DepEd central office,” Macob said, pointing out that the matter is not within the authority of the city school division.
Macob earlier stressed that the DepEd will only possibly agree to move the 200 students of the school only if the relocation site to be provided already has classrooms with complete facilities in place.
So far, no new school has been built to replace the existing facilities.
Macob admitted that the teachers prefer to maintain the status quo at Juan P. Guadiz Elementary School to ensure that the programmed lessons of the pupils will not be disrupted.
He said the perennial flooding problem in the school has already been addressed when they elevated all the classrooms using funds from the budget of DepEd, not from the city government.
The remaining area that gets flooded is the quadrangle but plans to have it land-filled has been put on hold owing to the city’s plan to relocate the students to pave the way for the lying-in clinic.